Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Options

When Matt was laid off and struggling to find work he decided that he wanted to use his Russian skills in some type of job field. The fields that he was thinking of are the CIA, FBI and the Navy. He found out the CIA and FBI are a long process that won't guarantee him a job, so he has decided to become a Naval Officer and work in Intelligence.

At first I didn't know how I felt about it. But soon realized that he wasn't going to be an active duty solider but an officer so that put my worries to rest. Since then he has been faithfully filling out his applications and keeping in contact with his cousin, who is a Navy Seal assigned to the Pentagon. His uncle is also a retired Naval officer so between his cousin and uncle he has the connections he needs in order to become a Naval Officer.

This prospect kind of excites me b/c we will be able to see new places. Right now we are just waiting. He has a pretty good chance b/c he's a college graduate, who can speak Russian and has connection that can vouche for him as a good, hard and dedicated worker.

What brought this up is an article that I read in the paper today about people who have been laid off who are now turning to the Armed Services for a job. You can read the article here. I just found it interesting that we are doing just that.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

My brother-in-law speaks Russian and he worked for the Air Force doing space stuff (i'm not sure what). They sent him to Russia a lot. Maybe if the Navy doesn't work out he can try the Air Force.
:)

Stephanie said...

I must admit that is why we joined the Army. We did the laid off thing and it isn't fun. We are loving the Army and the experience it is giving us! Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you!

I encourage anyone who reads this blog to please post a comment. I like to hear what people think.